Monday 5 August 2013

Living with depression

Everybody will experience periods of low mood in their life for all sorts of reasons, but this does not mean that they are depressed. My view is that a person can feel depressed but not actually be depressed. Depression is a period of 2 or more weeks (as clinically defined) whereby the sufferer feels low, empty or just downright miserable. This can be for any number of reasons but can also be for absolutely no reason at all. It seems to be that is what many people find difficult to understand about depression: the sufferer may be depressed for no apparent reason. The clinical reason is probably a lack of serotonin (the 'happy' chemical our brains naturally produce) which causes the patient to feel low and depressed. It is often heard that people say 'well, you have no reason to be depressed, so just snap out of it, stop feeling sorry for yourself'. This is not practical or fair. People who are depressed cannot just 'snap out of it' and believe me, if they could they would! Depression is an illness, just like diabetes or flu, and you would never hear somebody say there is no reason to be diabetic, so why should there have to be a reason to be depressed?
People often mistake depression for a 'phase', and something that can easily be fixed with a couple of therapy sessions and 2 weeks of medication. This is not the case. Depression can take years to overcome, therapy is not a 'quick fix' and most anti-depressants only begin to work after a minimum of 2 weeks. Depression is a never ending black tunnel. It is the feeling of hopelessness and helplessness and most of all it the inability to overcome these feelings. It is feeling as though you do not deserve feeling any better than the worthlessness you feel is your life. Making the first step to overcome this is the hardest part, because that is admitting you are worth recovery. I started feeling depressed in October 2011 and it was not until February 2012 that I finally went to the doctor, March that I started therapy and June when I was put on medication. At this time I was in year 13, my final year of school so you can imagine what affect this had on my studies. Luckily, I set myself up very well the previous year, so it did not matter that I did not meet my target grades, and even more luckily, I had one very understanding teacher  who, due to her role as Deputy Head was able to submit various forms to the Universities to which I had applied and even though I missed my entry requirements by one grade I was still accepted to my first choice.
Depression does not have to end your life. Often with depression the sufferer can begin to feel suicidal and make attempts on their life. This does not have to be. As somebody who has experienced this and come out the other side (almost), I want to say that you do not have to give in to the illness controlling your mind. You can regain control of your life and rid yourself of the negativity. Just because that voice in your head is telling you that you do not deserve to live it does not mean it is right! What you can't see in the middle of it is what your life will become once you recover. I could never see myself at university. I used to enter the classroom and sit with my head on the table and almost fall asleep. I never thought I'd be where I am now and I am proud of myself for accomplishing what I thought I'd  never accomplish. If I did it, anybody can. That voice is wrong; if it is giving you such negative thoughts you should go to the doctor immediately and start your road to recovery.
I don't want to put anybody under the impression that recovering from depression is easy. It is the single most hardest thing I've ever had to do, but slowly, day by day, I am getting there. With the right support in place (family and friends, a doctor and a therapist) you can do it. Medication isn't for everyone and neither is therapy, most find the two together work best and that is how I am recovering (although since being at university therapy hasn't exactly been simple). I strongly urge anybody who feels they may be depressed to seek the help they need, and if you are worried about a loved one, please talk to them about how they are feeling. It may be something (and hopefully it is) that can be fixed with a chat and a cup of tea, but just in case it isn't, educate yourself on depression and ask them what they would like to do about it. Facing up to the fact that you may have a mental illness is not easy, so be kind and patient and let them know you're there for them should they need you.
If you are feeling suicidal, look up numbers in your local area which run a crisis service, or if you are more desperate call 999 or take yourself to A&E immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment